Sunday, May 24, 2009

Fourth Walk

26th April 2009

Lane Cove National Park
10kms
3 hours and 15 mins

This walk was almost my downfall.

Has anyone been to Lane Cove National Park? I thought I was getting used to bushwalking, but this was the first time I had to actually walk over rocks and through tracks that weren't as clearly defined as the paths I had been used to.

I was wearing the wrong shoes as well. My trainers were not the right footwear for the conditions.

We started off and right away I started falling behind. Katrinna tried to let me go ahead but I was just slow. It was a hot day too and her friends are very fit and used to lots of walking.

I was okay until we crossed the highway and started back to the Park and we encountered boulders and rocks and twisty, windy paths.

Katrinna's friends went on ahead and I was pleased cause I was a mess. I am not very steady on my feet at the best of times and now I had to shift my weight and go over and around slippery sandy rocks.

I started to cry and for the first time told Katrinna that I thought I would have to give up. She refused, politely, but refused to let me stop. She went on ahead and left me to do it on my own as I wanted her to do. It wasn't so bad on my own, I didn't feel like I was letting anyone down and could take my time.

Katrinna waited at the end where it went to the road again, then we walked back to the car park where her friends were waiting, and had been for about 45 minutes!

They all headed back to the Coast, without going to the toilet mind you, how can they do that, they hadn't gone for over 4 hours as far as I could tell. What are they, camels?????

Anyway, I went home and fell asleep due to the emotional exhaustion I was feeling. This was my first test and I am not as strong as I would like to believe. I am going to have to toughen up to succeed.

Verdict: I am getting slightly worried about my reactions. Need to work on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment